- •Introducing three-dimensional (3D) printing has opened new visions in the orthodontic field.
- •This research evaluates three-dimensionally produced orthodontic retainers and their future possible uses.
- •Using both 3D-printed and 3D pen-produced retainers for orthodontics, several advantages can be obtained, such as less or no technician help, time saving, and decreased costs compared with the conventional method.
- •This is the first study evaluating the characteristics of these 3D methods.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
3DPrint.com. Surgeons create 3D printed custom implant to restore pelvis after resection. August 25, 2015. Available from: https://3dprint.com/91580/3d-printed-pelvic-implant/ [Accessed 2015].
- Possibility of reconstruction of dental plaster cast from 3D digital study models.Biomed Eng OnLine. 2013; 12: 49
Not Impossible Labs. Available from: http://www.notimpossible.com [Accessed 2018].
- 3D printing in dentistry.Br Dent J. 2015; 219: 521-529
- A review on stereolithography and its applications in biomedical engineering.Biomaterials. 2010; 31: 6121-6130
- Three-dimensional printing technology in orthodontics for dental models: a systematic review.Children (Basel). 2022; 9: 1106
3Doodler. Available from: http://www.wikipedia.com/3Doodler [Accessed 2017].
- Sterilization, toxicity, biocompatibility and clinical applications of polylactic acid/polyglycolic acid copolymers.Biomaterials. 1996; 17: 93-102
- 3D printing pen: a novel adjunct for indirect bonding.J Contemp Dent Pract. 2021; 22: 964-968
Ufuk OK Braket Altında Oluşan Mikrosızıntının Dört Farklı Bonding TekniğindeTermal Siklus ve Çiğneme Similatörü Yöntemleri ile Karşılaştırmalı Olarak Değerlendirilmesi. Comparative Evaluation of Microleakage Under Bracket with Thermal Cycle and Chewing Simulator Methods in Four Different Bonding Techniques.Bezmialem Vakıf University; 2017. https://openaccess.bezmialem.edu.tr/entities/publication/792ac6aa-fa0f-48b9-9cc5-762771e2b9b3.
- In vitro comparison of new generation adhesive systems in enamel conditioning with ER: YAG laser: SBS and ARI analysis.Lasers Dent Sci. 2021; 5: 19-26
- Evaluation of shear bond strength and adhesive remnant index of metal APC™ Flash-Free adhesive system: a comparative in vitro study with APC™ II and uncoated metal brackets.Int Orthod. 2022; 20100705
- Saliva as research material: biochemical, physicochemical and practical aspects.Arch Oral Biol. 2007; 52: 1114-1135
- Management of salivary hypofunction during and after radiotherapy.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103 (S66.e1–19)
- Development of paper-based analytical devices for minimizing the viscosity effect in human saliva.Theranostics. 2018; 8: 3797-3807
- Single-component orthodontic adhesives: comparison of the clinical and in vitro performance.Clin Oral Investig. 2021; 25: 3987-3999
- Assessment of enamel color stability of resins infiltration treatment in human teeth: a systematic review.Int J Environ Res Public Health. 2022; 19: 11269
- Effects of different drinks on stainability of resin composite provisional restorative materials.J Prosthet Dent. 2005; 94: 118-124
- Color stability of resin composites after immersion in different drinks.Dent Mater J. 2006; 25: 371-376
Krämer A, Sjöström M, Apelthun C, Hallman M, Feldmann I. Post-treatment stability after 5 years of retention with vacuum-formed and bonded retainers-a randomized controlled trial [published online August 15, 2022]. Eur J Orthod doi:10.1093/ejo/cjac043.
- Debonding force and deformation of two multi-stranded lingual retainer wires bonded to incisor enamel: an in vitro study.Eur J Orthod. 2010; 32: 741-746
- Comparison of three different orthodontic wires for bonded lingual retainer fabrication.Korean J Orthod. 2012; 42: 39-46
- Long-term experience with direct-bonded lingual retainers.J Clin Orthod. 1991; 25: 619-630
- Bonded orthodontic retainers: a comparison of initial bond strength of different wire-and-composite combinations.J Orofac Orthop. 2010; 71: 290-299
- A review of direct orthodontic bonding.Br J Orthod. 1975; 2: 171-178
- Comparison of periodontal status and failure rates with different retainer bonding methods and adhesives: a randomized clinical trial.Angle Orthod. 2023; 93: 57-65
- Indirect vs direct bonding of mandibular fixed retainers in orthodontic patients.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2022; 162: 808
- Recycling of sisal fiber reinforced polypropylene and polylactic acid composites: thermo-mechanical properties, morphology, and water absorption behavior.Waste Manag. 2019; 97: 71-81
- Hybrid composites made from recycled materials: moisture absorption and thickness swelling behavior.Bioresour Technol. 2010; 101: 4717-4720
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non-commissioned and externally peer reviewed.