- •Users voted on the posts related to the “treatment process” category and moved the posts to the list of top posts on the platform.
- •In the “question” thread, 47.79% of the posts asked for advice, 21.11% of them were related to failures and complications, and 11.85% of them were about retention appliances and relapse.
- •Overall, 69% of the replies were categorized as “useful.”
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Online health information seeking: a review and meta-analysis.Health Commun. 2021; 36: 1163-1175
- Informational value and bias of videos related to orthodontics screened on a video-sharing web site.Angle Orthod. 2011; 81: 532-539
- Twitter analysis of the orthodontic patient experience with braces vs Invisalign.Angle Orthod. 2017; 87: 377-383
- A qualitative analysis of orthodontic-related posts on Twitter.Angle Orthod. 2014; 84: 203-207
- Social media use by orthodontic patients.N Z Dent J. 2013; 109: 130-133
- Orthodontic marketing through social media networks: the patient and practitioner's perspective.Angle Orthod. 2015; 85: 1035-1041
- Brand awareness and engagement: a case study in healthcare social media.Front Health Serv Manage. 2011; 28: 29-33
- Social media and orthodontic treatment from the patient's perspective: a systematic review.Eur J Orthod. 2020; 42: 231-241
- Is the information about orthodontics on YouTube and TikTok reliable for the oral health of the public? A cross sectional comparative study.J Stomatol Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2022; 123: e349-e354
- Oral healthcare implications of dedicated online communities: a computational content analysis of the r/Dentistry subreddit.Health Commun. 2021; 36: 572-584
- What are people tweeting about orthodontic retention? A cross-sectional content analysis.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017; 152: 516-522
- Experiences of individuals concerning combined orthodontic and orthognathic surgical treatment: a qualitative Twitter analysis.Med Princ Pract. 2018; 27: 227-235
- Evaluation of unsupervised semantic mapping of natural language with Leximancer concept mapping.Behav Res Methods. 2006; 38: 262-279
- Cross-check for completeness: exploring a novel use of Leximancer in a grounded theory study.Qual Rep. 2015; 20: 1029-1045
Wikipedia. Reddit; 2022. Available from: https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Reddit [Accessed on February 1, 2022].
- The anatomy of Reddit: an overview of academic research Dynamics on and of Complex Networks.Springer, Berlin, Germany2017: 183-204
- The role of social media for patients with temporomandibular disorders: a content analysis of Reddit.J Oral Rehabil. 2022; 49: 1-9
- Semantic network analysis for understanding user experiences of bipolar and depressive disorders on Reddit.Inf Process Manag. 2019; 56: 1565-1575
Alexa. Reddit.com. Available from: https://www.alexa.com/siteinfo/reddit.com#section_traffic [Accessed on February 1, 2022].
- Social media and orthodontics: A mixed-methods analysis of orthodontic-related posts on Twitter and Instagram.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2020; 158: 221-228
- Factors affecting information retention in orthodontic patients.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008; 133: S61-S67
- Effect of social media in improving knowledge among patients having fixed appliance orthodontic treatment: a single-center randomized controlled trial.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2015; 148: 231-237
- YouTube as a source of information on adult orthodontics: a video analysis study.J World Fed Orthod. 2022; 11: 41-46
- Quantitative and qualitative analyses of orthodontic-related videos on YouTube.Angle Orthod. 2020; 90: 411-418
- Accounts of bullying on Twitter in relation to dentofacial features and orthodontic treatment.J Oral Rehabil. 2017; 44: 244-250
- Quality evaluation of the available Internet information regarding pain during orthodontic treatment.Angle Orthod. 2013; 83: 500-506
- Evaluation of quality and reliability of videos about orthodontics on TikTok (DouYin).APOS Trends Orthod. 2022; 12: 101-107
- Is YouTube an adequate patient resource about orthodontic retention? A cross-sectional analysis of content and quality.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2022; 161: e72-e79
- Satisfaction with orthodontic treatment.Angle Orthod. 2013; 83: 507-511
- Factors associated with patient and parent satisfaction after orthodontic treatment: a systematic review.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2015; 148: 652-659
- Patients’ and health professionals’ use of social media in health care: motives, barriers and expectations.Patient Educ Couns. 2013; 92: 426-431
- YouTube for information on rheumatoid arthritis—a wakeup call?.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 899-903
- The effect of social media on patient acceptance of temporary anchorage devices.Angle Orthod. 2021; 91: 363-370
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non-commissioned and externally peer reviewed.