- •This prospective clinical trial investigated the in-vivo durability of a commonly used orthodontic sealant (Pro Seal).
- •Changes in adhesive remnant index scores show that Pro Seal layers are reduced significantly 1 month after the application of the sealant.
- •Reapplication of Pro Seal is recommended monthly.
- •No significant difference in sealant durability was found between the teeth, the jaws, and between the sexes.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- White spot lesions during orthodontic treatment: mechanisms and fluoride preventive aspects.Semin Orthod. 2008; 14: 183-193
- Incidence of caries lesions among patients treated with comprehensive orthodontics.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011; 139: 657-664
- A contemporary review of white spot lesions in orthodontics.J Esthet Restor Dent. 2013; 25: 85-95
- White spot lesions: formation, prevention, and treatment.Semin Orthod. 2008; 14: 174-182
- White spot lesions and orthodontic treatment. Prevention and treatmnent.Orthod Fr. 2014; 85: 235-244
- Inhibition of enamel demineralization by an enamel sealant, Pro Seal: an in-vitro study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008; : S88-94
- Effect of fluoride varnish on enamel demineralization around brackets: an in-vivo study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008; : S95-8
- Fissure Seal or fluoride varnish? A randomized trial of relative effectiveness.J Dent Res. 2017; 96: 754-761
- Historical and bibliometric notes on the use of fluoride in caries prevention.Eur J Paediatr Dent. 2020; 21: 148-152
- Quantitative evaluation of remineralizing potential of three agents on artificially demineralized human enamel using scanning electron microscopy imaging and energy-dispersive analytical X-ray element analysis: an in vitro study.Dent Res J (Isfahan). 2020; 17: 366-372
- SEM/EDS evaluation of the mineral deposition on a polymeric composite resin of a toothpaste containing biomimetic Zn-carbonate hydroxyapatite (microRepair®) in oral environment: a randomized clinical trial.Polymers. 2021; 13: 2740
Behnan SM, Arruda AO, González-Cabezas C, Sohn W, Peters MC. In-vitro evaluation of various treatments to prevent demineralization next to orthodontic brackets. Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop 2010;138(6):712.e1-7; discussion 712-3.
- Sealants for preventing and arresting pit-and-fissure occlusal caries in primary and permanent molars.J Am Dent Assoc. 2016; 147 (e18): 631-645
Cvikl B, Moritz A, Bekes K. Pit and fissure sealants-a comprehensive review. Dent J (Basel) 2018; 12;6(2):18.
- In vitro evaluation of surface properties of Pro Seal® and Opal® SealTM in preventing white spot lesions.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2017; 20 Suppl 1: 134-138
- Efficacy of a fluoride-releasing orthodontic primer in reducing demineralization around brackets: an in-vivo study.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014; 146: 207-214
- In-vivo durability of a fluoride-releasing sealant (OpalSeal) for protection against white-spot lesion formation in orthodontic patients.Head Face Med. 2015; 11: 11
- An in-vitro evaluation of mechanical and esthetic properties of orthodontic sealants.Eur J Dent. 2014; 8: 487-492
- A comparison of different sealants preventing demineralization around brackets.J Orofac Orthop. 2018; 79: 49-56
- Evaluation of the effect of bracket-periphery treatment on prevention of enamel demineralization by consecutive μCT scans.Clin Oral Investig. 2015; 19: 1519-1526
ADA. Statement on toothbrush care: cleaning, storage and replacement; 2014. https://www.ada.org/resources/research/science-and-research-institute/oral-health-topics/toothbrushes. Accessed: 26/11/2022.
- Sealants for preventing dental decay in the permanent teeth.The Cochrane Collaboration, ed. Cochrane database of systematic reviews [internet]. John Wiley & Sons, Ltd, Chichester, UK2013: 4 (Available from:)[Accessed June 30, 2019])
- Effectiveness of pit and fissure sealants in reducing white spot lesions during orthodontic treatment. A pilot study.Angle Orthod. 2009; 79: 338-345
- Increased susceptibility for white spot lesions by surplus orthodontic etching exceeding bracket base area.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2012; 141: 574-582
- Effectiveness of a sealant compared with no sealant in preventing enamel demineralization in patients with fixed orthodontic appliances: a prospective clinical trial.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013; 143: 837-844
- Toothbrushing and flossing behaviour in young adults—a video observation.Clin Oral Investig. 2015; 19: 851-858
- Tooth brushing and social characteristics of families in 32 countries.Int Dent J. 2006; 56: 159-167
- Prevalence of white spot lesions during orthodontic treatment with fixed appliances.Angle Orthod. 2011; 81: 206-210
- Influence of adhesives and methods of enamel pretreatment on the shear bond strength of orthodontic brackets.Acta Stomatol Croat. 2015; 49: 269-274
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non-commissioned and externally peer reviewed.