- •The orthodontic digital workflow involves intraoral scanning through to three-dimensional (3D) printing.
- •It only takes several hours from scan to retainer (and even aligner) fit with in-house 3D printing.
- •In-house 3D printing empowers orthodontists to take full control of aligner treatments.
- •Fusion (hybrid) orthodontics, enabled by in-house appliance provision, offers versatile and fully patient-centric treatment.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Accuracy of tooth movement with in-house clear aligners.J World Fed Orthod. 2021; 10: 177-182
Cousley RRJ. The digital twin block appliance: concept, design, and fabrication. J Orthod in press.
- Digital workflows in orthodontics.J Clin Orthod. 2018; 52: 34-44
- Direct printed removable appliances: a new approach for the Twin-block appliance.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2022; 162: 103-107
- Digital model planning and computerised fabrication of orthognathic surgery wafers.J Orthod. 2014; 41: 38-45
- The accuracy of maxillary positioning using digital model planning and 3D printed wafers in bimaxillary orthognathic surgery.J Orthod. 2017; 44: 256-267
Cousley RRJ. The use of orthodontic aligner software to design mini-implant guidance stents. J Clin Orthod In press.
- In-house three-dimensional designing and printing customized brackets.J World Fed Orthod. 2022; 11 (In this issue)https://doi.org/10.1016/j.ejwf.2022.10.004
Hull CW. Apparatus for production of three-dimensional objects by stereolithography. Google Patents. Available from: https://patents.google.com/patent/US4575330A/en [Accessed 20th June 2022].
- Do low-cost 3-dimensional printers produce suitable dental models?.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2022; 161: 858-865
- Accuracy of 3-dimensional printed dental models reconstructed from digital intraoral impressions.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018; 154: 733-739
- Accuracy of printed dental models made with 2 prototype technologies and different designs of model bases.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017; 151: 1178-1187
- Precision and trueness of dental models manufactured with different 3-dimensional printing techniques.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2018; 153: 144-153
- Accuracy of digital light processing printing of 3-dimensional dental models.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2020; 157: 422-428
- Evaluation of fit for 3D-printed retainers compared with thermoform retainers.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2019; 155: 592-599
- Mechanical and geometric properties of thermoformed and 3D printed clear dental aligners.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2019; 156: 694-701
- Accuracy and reproducibility of dental replica models reconstructed by different rapid prototyping techniques.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2014; 145: 108-115
- Introducing 3D printing in your orthodontic practice.J Orthod. 2020; 47: 265-272
- CAD/CAM software for three-dimensional printing.J Clin Orthod. 2018; 52: 22-27
- Effect of print layer height and printer type on the accuracy of 3-dimensional printed orthodontic models.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2017; 152: 557-565
Funding: The author has not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: The author has completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Commissioned and internally peer reviewed.