- •Direct printing of a metallic appliance can be done using a completely digitalized process.
- •There exist operator and patient advantages when we utilize this process.
- •There exist some limitations and disadvantages to the process as well.
- •This technology allows taking the digitalization directly into the treatment process.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Full arch scans: conventional versus digital impressions–an in-vitro study.Int J Comput Dent. 2011; 14: 11-21
- Diagnostic accuracy of impression-free digital models.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2013; 144: 916-922
- Applications of additive manufacturing in dentistry: a review.J Biomed Mater Res B Appl Biomater. 2018; 106: 2058-2064
- Additive technology: update on current materials and applications in dentistry.J Prosthodont. 2017; 26: 156-163
- Digital workflows in contemporary orthodontics.APOS Trends Orthod. 2017; 7: 12-18
- Direct metal laser sintering: a digitised metal casting technology.J Indian Prosthodont Soc. 2013; 13: 389-392
- Direct printed metal devices– the next level of computer-aided design and computer-aided manufacturing applications in the orthodontic care.APOS Trends Orthod. 2017; 7: 253-259
- Three-dimensional metal printed orthodontic laboratory appliances.Semin Orthod. 2021; 27: 189-193
- Simultaneous Phase I expansion and ectopic molar correction with a hyrax-Halterman appliance.J Clin Orthod. 2017; 51: 295-300
- The Hybrid Hyrax Distalizer, a new all-in-one appliance for rapid palatal expansion, early class III treatment and upper molar distalization.J Orthod. 2014; 41: S47-S53
- Influence of printing procedure and printing axis of dental alloys on dimensional accuracy, surface roughness, and porosity.APOS Trends Orthod. 2022; 12: 149-156
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Commissioned; Internally peer reviewed.