- •The rapid maxillary expansion is followed by pain during and after the opening of the midpalatal suture.
- •The cause of the pain resulting from orthodontic treatment is not entirely clear.
- •The sites of processing for the nociceptive information originating in the midpalatal suture after rapid maxillary expansion have not been investigated to date in the trigeminal subnucleus complex and parabrachial area.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Stimulation of bone formation in the expanding mid-palatal suture by transforming growth factor-beta 1 in the rat.Eur J Orthod. 1996; 18: 169-179
- Orthodontic pain: from causes to management – a review.Eur J Orthod. 2007; 29: 170-179
- Attitudes to orthodontic treatment.Br J Orthod. 1985; 12: 179-188
- Perception of discomfort by patients undergoing orthodontic treatment.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1989; 96: 47-53
- Managing orthodontic pain.J Clin Orthod. 2004; 38: 641-642
- Patients' anticipation of pain and pain-related side effects, and their perception of pain as a result of orthodontic treatment with fixed appliances.Eur J Orthod. 1999; 21: 387-396
- Pain in orthodontics. A review and discussion of the literature.J Orofac Orthop. 2000; 61: 125-137
- Comparison of responses of cutaneous nociceptive and nonnociceptive brain stem neurons in trigeminal subnucleus caudalis (medullary dorsal horn) and subnucleus oralis to natural and electrical stimulation of tooth pulp.J Neurophysiol. 1984; 52: 39-53
- Dental noxious input reaches the subnucleus caudalis of the trigeminal complex in the rat, as shown by c-fos expression upon thermal or mechanical stimulation.Neurosci Lett. 1994; 173: 201-204
- c-fos induction in the subnucleus caudalis following noxious mechanical stimulation of the oral mucous membrane.Exp Neurol. 1994; 129: 251-256
- Increase in c-fos-like immunoreactivity in the trigeminal nucleus complex after dental treatment.Proc Finn Dent Soc. 1992; 88: 551-555
- Spinoparabrachial tract neurons showing substance P receptor-like immunoreactivity in the lumbar spinal cord of the rat.Brain Res. 1995; 674: 336-340
- The dorsal raphe: an important nucleus in pain modulation.Brain Res Bull. 1994; 34: 575-585
- Expression of Fos in the rat forebrain following experimental tooth movement.J Dent Res. 1998; 77: 1920-1925
- Effect of low-level laser therapy after rapid maxillary expansion on proliferation and differentiation of osteoblastic cells.Lasers Med Sci. 2012; 27: 777-783
- c-Fos expression in rat brain nuclei following incisor tooth movement.J Dent Res. 2004; 83: 50-54
- The rat brain in stereotaxic coordinates.Elsevier Academic Press, Boston, MA2005
- The biomechanics of tooth movement.in: Kraus BS Riedel RA Vistas in orthodontics. Lea & Febiger, Philadelphia, PA1962: 197-213
- Immunohistochemical changes in the distribution of nerve fibers in the periodontal ligament during an experimental tooth movement in rat molar.Acta Anat (Basel). 1996; 157: 53-62
- Rapid maxillary expansion causes neural activation in brain structure of rats.Brain Res Bull. 2008; 76: 396-401
- Perception of pain during orthodontic treatment with fixed appliances.Eur J Orthod. 2004; 26: 79-85
- Differential distribution of Fos-like immunoreactivity in the spinal trigeminal nucleus after noxious and innocuous thermal and chemical stimulation of rat cornea.Neuroscience. 1996; 72: 243-254
- The role of trigeminal interpolaris-caudalis transition zone in persistent orofacial pain.Int Rev Neurobiol. 2011; 97: 207-225
- The difference in temporal distribution of c-Fos immunoreactive neurons between the medullary dorsal horn and the trigeminal subnucleus oralis in the rat following experimental tooth movement.Neurosci Lett. 2000; 283: 205-208
- Biomechanics of craniofacial sutures: orthopedic implications.Angle Orthod. 2003; 73: 128-135
- Mechanobiology of craniofacial sutures.J Dent Res. 2002; 81: 810-816
- Frequency of and complications in the use of RPE appliances – results of a survey in the Federal State of Hesse, Germany.J Orofac Orthop. 2005; 66: 148-161
- Reports of pain by children undergoing rapid palatal expansion.Pediatr Dent. 2000; 22: 221-226
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: This project received financial support from the Brazilian agencies: FAPESP and CAPES. FAPESP supported individual scholarship (CLBR, Financial Code: 2021/02704-1).
Competing interest: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non-commissioned and externally peer reviewed.