- •Upper airways in children with obstructive sleep apnea (OSA) are different from normal children.
- •There is need to identify potential craniofacial anatomy that may predispose to pediatric OSA.
- •There are cutoff values for cone-beam computed tomography measurements that may be predictive of the presence and severity of pediatric OSA.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Sleep problems and their relation to cognitive factors, anxiety, and depressive symptoms in children and adolescents.Depress Anxiety. 2009; 26: 503-512
- Airway and systemic inflammation in obese children with asthma.Eur Respir J. 2013; 42: 1012-1019
- Different craniofacial characteristics predict upper airway collapsibility in Japanese-Brazilian and white men.Chest. 2016; 149: 737-746
- Correlation between craniofacial changes and respiratory improvement after nasomaxillary skeletal expansion in pediatric obstructive sleep apnea patients.Sleep Breath. 2022; 26: 585-594
- Airway volume for different dentofacial skeletal patterns.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011; 139: e511-e521
- Evaluation of pharyngeal airway space amongst different skeletal patterns.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 41: 814-819
- Childhood obstructive sleep apnea syndrome: an interdisciplinary approach.J Orofac Orthop. 2012; 73: 342-358
- Dental arch morphology in children with sleep-disordered breathing.Eur J Orthod. 2009; 31: 160-167
- Craniofacial morphology but not excess body fat is associated with risk of having sleep-disordered breathing—the PANIC Study (a questionnaire-based inquiry in 6–8-year-olds).Eur J Pediatr. 2012; 171: 1747-1752
- Three-dimensional cephalometric study of upper airway space in skeletal class II and III healthy patients.J Craniofac Surg. 2008; 19: 1497-1507
- The status of cephalometry in the prediction of non-CPAP treatment outcome in obstructive sleep apnea patients.Sleep Med Rev. 2016; 27: 56-73
- No correlation between two-dimensional measurements and three-dimensional configuration of the pharyngeal upper airway space in cone-beam computed tomography.J Craniomaxillofac Surg. 2017; 45: 371-376
- An analysis of different approaches to the assessment of upper airway morphology: a CBCT study.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2010; 13: 96-105
- Airway growth and development: a computerized 3-dimensional analysis.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2012; 70: 2174-2183
- Three-dimensional airway evaluation in 387 subjects from one university orthodontic clinic using cone beam computed tomography.Angle Orthod. 2012; 82: 985-992
- Compared to individuals with mild to moderate obstructive sleep apnea (OSA), individuals with severe OSA had higher BMI and respiratory-disturbance scores.Life (Basel). 2021; 11: 368-375
- Evaluation of upper airway in children with obstructive sleep apnea using cone-beam computed tomography.Laryngoscope. 2021; 131: 680-685
- Computational fluid dynamics simulation of the upper airway response to large incisor retraction in adult class I bimaxillary protrusion patients.Sci Rep. 2017; 7: 45706
- Establishment of reference mandibular plane for anterior alveolar morphology evaluation using cone beam computed tomography.J Zhejiang Univ Sci B. 2012; 13: 942-947
- Application of a newly developed software program for image quality assessment in cone-beam computed tomography.Imaging Sci Dent. 2017; 47: 75-86
- Cone-beam computerized tomography imaging and analysis of the upper airway: a systematic review of the literature.Int J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2011; 40: 1227-1237
- Three-dimensional changes in upper airways of patients with obstructive sleep apnea following maxillomandibular advancement.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2007; 65: 6-12
- Airway changes in obstructive sleep apnoea patients associated with a supine versus an upright position examined using cone beam computed tomography.J Laryngol Otol. 2014; 128: 824-830
- Pharyngeal airway dimensions and head posture in obstructive sleep apnea patients with and without morphological deviations in the upper cervical spine.J Oral Maxillofac Res. 2017; 8: e4
- Current methods in medical image segmentation.Annu Rev Biomed Eng. 2000; 2: 315-337
- Assessment of the airway in obstructive sleep apnea syndrome with 3-dimensional airway computed tomography.Otolaryngol Head Neck Surg. 2000; 123: 444-449
- Oropharyngeal airway changes after rapid palatal expansion evaluated with cone-beam computed tomography.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2010; 137 (Suppl.): S71-S78
- Creation of an idealized nasopharynx geometry for accurate computational fluid dynamics simulations of nasal airflow in patient-specific models lacking the nasopharynx anatomy.Int J Numer Method Biomed Eng. 2017;
- Cone-beam CT analysis of patients with obstructive sleep apnea compared to normal controls.Imaging Sci Dent. 2016; 46: 9-16
- Upper airway and soft tissue anatomy in normal subjects and patients with sleep-disordered breathing. Significance of the lateral pharyngeal walls.Am J Respir Crit Care Med. 1995; 152: 1673-1689
- Magnetic resonance imaging of the pharynx in OSA patients and healthy subjects.Eur Respir J. 2001; 17: 79-86
- Evaluation of cross-section airway configuration of obstructive sleep apnea.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2007; 103: 102-108
- Three-dimensional imaging of the upper airway anatomy in obstructive sleep apnea: a systematic review.Sleep Med. 2016; 21: 19-27
- Three-dimensional computed tomographic analysis of airway anatomy in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 68: 354-362
- Upper airway length may be associated with the severity of obstructive sleep apnea syndrome.Sleep Breath. 2008; 12: 311-316
- Cone beam computed tomography analysis of upper airway measurements in patients with obstructive sleep apnea.Am J Med Sci. 2016; 352: 376-384
- Relating three-dimensional airway measurements to the apnea hypopnea index in pediatric sleep apnea patients.Orthod Craniofac Res. 2021; 24: 137-146
- Cephalometric measurement of upper airway length correlates with the presence and severity of obstructive sleep apnea.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2010; 68: 2846-2855
- Comparison of cone-beam CT parameters and sleep questionnaires in sleep apnea patients and control subjects.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol Endod. 2010; 109: 285-293
Funding: This work was supported by Health Campus in Universiti Sains Malaysia under the RUI grant scheme 1001/PPSG/812158.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non-commissioned; externally peer reviewed.