- •An evaluation of the reliability of a new instrument to measure the anteroposterior relationship of the maxillary central incisors to the forehead.
- •Good to excellent intra- and inter-examiner agreement were found.
- •The pre-designed transparent template showed good to excellent reliability for determining the anteroposterior relationship of the maxillary central incisors to the forehead.
- •This new instrument can help orthodontists and maxillofacial surgeons clinically evaluate the position of the maxillary incisors, and indirectly the maxilla, in the sagittal plane.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- AP relationship of the maxillary central incisors to the forehead in adult white females.Angle Orthod. 2008; 78: 662-669
- Three-dimensional methodology for photogrammetric acquisition of the soft tissues of the face: a new clinical instrumental protocol.Prog Orthod. 2013; 14: 32
- Esthetic perception of changes in facial profile resulting from orthodontic treatment with extraction of premolars: a systematic review.J Am Dent Assoc. 2017; 148: 9-16
- Quantitative analysis of 3-dimensional facial soft tissue photographic images: technical methods and clinical application.Prog Orthod. 2015; 16: 21
- [Perception of facial profile attractiveness oflower anterior face height in orthodontic treatment seeking people].Hua Xi Kou Qiang Yi Xue Za Zhi. 2013; 31: 385-388
- Factors influencing soft tissue profile changes following orthodontic treatment in patients with class II division 1 malocclusion.Prog Orthod. 2016; 17: 13
- Effect of maxillary anteroposterior position on profile esthetics in headgear-treated patients.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2011; 139: 228-234
- A method of assessing facial profile attractiveness and its application incomparing the aesthetic preferences of two samples of South Africans.J Orthod. 2011; 38: 99-106
- The effects of computer-aided anteroposterior maxillary incisor movement on ratings of facial attractiveness.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2005; 127: 17
- Cephalometric soft tissue facial analysis.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 1999; 116: 373-389
- Cephalometric measures as indicators of facial attractiveness.Int J Adult Orthod Orthognath Surg. 1993; 8: 171-179
Andrews LF. The six elements of orofacial harmony. Available from: http://www.pointlomaorthodontics.com/common/pages/UserFile.aspx?fileId=955029#:∼:text=The%20Six%20Elements%E2%84%A2%20serve,%2C%202)%20AP%20jaw%20positions%2C. [Accessed July 21, 2020].
- Element II: jaws-AP.Andrews J Orthod Orofac Harmony. 2000; 1: iii
- Six element diagnostic record.Andrews J Orthod Orofac Harmony. 2001; 2: 15
- The 6-elements orthodontic philosophy: Treatment goals, classification, and rules for treating.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2015; 148: 883-887
- Straight wire: the concept and appliance.La Wells Comp, San Diego, CA1989
- The natural head position. Different techniques of head positioning in the study of craniocervical posture.Minerva Stomatol. 2009; 58: 601-612
- Statistical methods for medical and biological students.Br Med J. 1940; 2: 358-359
- Reliability and the smallest detectable differences of lateral cephalometric measurements.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2010; 138 (e1–8): 546
- [Natural head position’s reproducibility on photographs].Orthod Fr. 2017; 88: 377-382
- A guideline of selecting and reporting intraclass correlation coefficients for reliability research.J Chiropr Med. 2016; 15: 155-163
- Error of the method: what is it for?.Dent Press J Orthod. 2014; 19: 25
- Class II malocclusion treatment effects with Jones Jig and Distal Jet followed by fixed appliances.Angle Orthod. 2018; 88: 10-19
- Accuracy and reliability of tooth length measurements onconventional and CBCT images: an in vitro comparative study.J Orthod Sci. 2018; 7: 17
- Comparison of dental measurements between conventional plaster models, digital models obtained by impression scanning and plaster model scanning.Int Orthod. 2019; 17: 151-158
- Photogrammetric reliability of frontal facial photographs with radiographs and anthropometric measurements.J Oral Biol Craniofac Res. 2019; 9: 280-285
- Assessing the influence of chin asymmetry on perceived facial esthetics with 3-dimensional images.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; 78: 1389-1396
- Perception of midline deviations in smile esthetics by laypersons.Dental Press J Orthod. 2016; 21: 51
- Clinician, dental student, and orthognathic patient perception of black-and-white silhouette lateral profile dimensions of ideal chin position in a Chinese population.Oral Surg Oral Med Oral Pathol Oral Radiol. 2018; 125: e1-e7
- Three-dimensional virtual treatment planning: presurgical evaluation.J Craniofac Surg. 2018; 29: e433-e437
- Three-dimensional photography for the evaluation of facial profiles in obstructive sleep apnoea.Respirology. 2018; 23: 618-625
- Diagnosis and treatment planning of orthodontic patients with 3-dimensional dentofacial records.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2017; 151: 1083-1091
- United Reference Method for three-dimensional treatment evaluation.Prog Orthod. 2018; 19: 47
- Glabellar vertical line as a reference goal for anteroposterior maxillary position.Dent Press J Orthod. 2019; 24 (e1–5): 45
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non commisioned and externally peer reviewed