- •TikTok videos regarding orthodontic retention and retainers were assessed.
- •Most videos were uploaded by dental professionals.
- •The overall content, reliability, and quality of the videos was poor.
- •The effects of retainers on the quality of life were infrequently addressed by orthodontists.
- •Dissatisfaction with indefinite retainer wear was commonly reported by laypersons.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Retention protocols and use of vacuum-formed retainers among specialist orthodontists.J Orthod. 2013; 40: 318-325
- Epidemiologic study of orthodontic retention procedures.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2018; 153: 496-504
- A survey of retention and retainer practices of orthodontists in Australia.Aust Orthod J. 2019; 35: 174-183
- Removable retention: enhancing adherence and the remit of shared decision-making.Br Dent J. 2021; 230: 765-769
- Vacuum-formed retainers: an overview.Dent Update. 2015; 42: 24-34
- Young people's experiences of orthodontic retainers: a qualitative study.J Orthod. 2022; (Published online May 25)
- What are people tweeting about orthodontic retention? A cross-sectional content analysis.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2017; 152: 516-522
- What's in a hashtag: a content evaluation of Instagram posts related to orthodontic retention and retainers.J World Fed Orthod. 2021; 10: 35-39
- Is the information about orthodontics on YouTube and TikTok reliable for the oral health of the public? A cross sectional comparative study.J Stomatol Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2022; (Published online April 22)
Searchengineland Avialable from: https://searchengineland.com/tiktok-10-minute-video-length-381434 [Accessed June 1, 2022].
Meriç P, Kılınç DD. Evaluation of quality and reliability of videos about orthodontics on TikTok (DouYin). APOS Trends Orthod Published online February 4, 2022.
- A qualitative analysis of orthodontic-related posts on Twitter.Angle Orthod. 2014; 84: 203-207
- Can TikTok provide reliable information about orthodontics for patients?.J Consum Health Internet. 2022; 26: 1-11
- Orthodontic retention and retainers: quality of information provided by dental professionals on YouTube.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2020; 158: 229-236
- Is YouTube an adequate patient resource about orthodontic retention? A cross-sectional analysis of content and quality.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2022; 161: e72-e79
- DISCERN: an instrument for judging the quality of written consumer health information on treatment choices.J Epidemiol Comm Health. 1999; 53: 105-111
- YouTube for information on rheumatoid arthritis–a wakeup call?.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 899-903
Google trends. Google. Available from: https://trends.google.com/trends [Accessed January 20, 2022].
- Characterizing the content related to Oral Health education on TikTok.Int J Environ Resour. 2021; 18: 13260
- The reach, influence and tenor of professional orthodontic societies on social media: a cross-sectional content analysis.Int Orthod. 2022; 20100608
- Factors influencing adherence to vacuum-formed retainer wear: a qualitative study.J Orthod. 2019; 46: 212-219
- Retention decisions and protocols among orthodontists practicing in Canada: a cross-sectional survey.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2022; 162: 51-57
- Retention procedures for stabilising tooth position after treatment with orthodontic braces.Cochrane Database Syst Rev. 2016; 2016CD002283
- Orthodontic bonded retainers: a narrative review.Dent Update. 2020; 47: 421-432
- Evaluation of treatment risks and the quality of information contained within the websites of specialist orthodontists.Aust Orthod J. 2019; 35: 143-151
- Lingual orthodontic treatment: a YouTube™ video analysis.Angle Orthod. 2018; 88: 208-214
- YouTube as a source of information about orthodontic clear aligners.Angle Orthod. 2020; 90: 419-424
- Is YouTube useful as a source of information for Sjögren's syndrome?.Oral Dis. 2016; 22: 196-201
- An analysis of YouTube videos on oral hygiene practices during coronavirus disease 2019 pandemic.J Glob Oral Health. 2021; 4: 84-93
- Valid consent and orthodontic treatment.Aust Orthod J. 2019; 35: 35-45
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interests: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Non-commissioned and externally peer reviewed.