- •Normative smile aesthetics and treatment need are not significantly associated with self-esteem.
- •No sex-based difference observed with regard to self-esteem.
- •Self-perception is a more important predictor of self-esteem.
- •Self-esteem increases with age.
Purchase one-time access:Academic & Personal: 24 hour online accessCorporate R&D Professionals: 24 hour online access
One-time access price info
- For academic or personal research use, select 'Academic and Personal'
- For corporate R&D use, select 'Corporate R&D Professionals'
Subscribe:Subscribe to Journal of the World Federation of Orthodontists
- Dental health between self-perception, clinical evaluation and body image dissatisfaction – a cross-sectional study in mixed dentition pre-pubertal children.BMC Oral Health. 2018; 18: 74
- Influence of quality of life, self-perception, and self-esteem on orthodontic treatment need.Am J Orthod Dentofac Orthop. 2017; 151: 143-147
- The effect of malocclusion and self-perceived aesthetics on the self-esteem of a sample of Jordanian adolescents.Eur J Orthod. 2010; 32: 638-644
- Desire for orthodontic treatment and associated factors among adolescents in southern Brazil.Angle Orthod. 2015; 85: 224-232
- Self-perception and malocclusion and their relation to oral appearance and function.Cien Saude Colet. 2011; 16: 4059-4066
- Psychosocial impact of malocclusion in Spanish adolescents.Korean J Orthod. 2013; 43: 193-200
- Does orthodontic treatment affect patients' quality of life?.J Dent Educ. 2008; 72: 886-894
- Culture and self-esteem over time: a cross-temporal meta-analysis among Australians, 1978-2014.Soc Psychol Personal Sci. 2017; 8: 904-909
- Dental aesthetic self-perception and desire for orthodontic treatment among school children in Benin City.Nigeria. Nig Q J Hosp Med. 2011; 21: 45-49
- Standardized portrait photography for dental patients.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 1990; 98: 197-205
- Society and the adolescent self-image. rev.Wesleyen University Press, Middletown, CT1989
- A critical review of visual analogue scales in the measurement of clinical phenomena.Res Nurs Health. 1990; 13: 227-236
- Oral data collection and examination criteria: international collaboration study of oral health outcomes (ICS II).World Health Organization, Geneva, Switzerland1989
- Hard- and soft-tissue contributions to the esthetics of the posed smile in growing patients seeking orthodontic treatment.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2008; 133: 491-499
Marom E. Macro photography: understanding magnification. Digital photography. 2011. Available from: https://www.dpreview.com/articles/6519974919/macro-photography-understanding-magnification [Accessed May 15, 2019].
- Self-perceived orthodontic treatment need evaluated through 3 scales in a university population.J Orthod. 2004; 31: 329-334
- The Rosenberg Self-Esteem Scale and Harter's self-perception profile for adolescents: a concurrent validity study.Psychol Sch. 1993; 30: 132-136
- Self esteem among adolescents in Nigerian secondary schools: a neglected issue.Br J Med Med Res. 2015; 5: 98-106
- Dental aesthetics and self-esteem in adolescents.Colomb Med. 2011; 42: 482-489
- Effect of malocclusion on the selfesteem of adolescents.J Orthod Sci. 2017; 6: 123-128
McLeod SA. Self concept. 2008. Available from: www.simplypsychology.org/self-concept.html [Accessed May 6, 2022].
- Verbal school bullying and life satisfaction among Brazilian adolescents: profiles of the aggressor and the victim.Compr Psychiatry. 2015; 57: 132-139
- Global self-esteem across the life span.Psychol Aging. 2002; 17: 423-434
- Do malocclusions affect the oral health-related quality of life?.Oral Health Prev Dent. 2011; 9: 229-233
- Self-concept and the perception of facial appearance in children and adolescents seeking orthodontic treatment.Angle Orthod. 2009; 79: 12-16
- An assessment of relationship between self-esteem, orthodontic concern, and dental aesthetic index (DAI) scores among secondary school students in Ibadan.Nigeria. Int Dent J. 2003; 53: 79-84
- Age, race, and gender differences in child and adolescent self-concept: evidence from a behavioral acquisition, context-dependent model.School Psych Rev. 1994; 23: 496
- Self-esteem development across the lifespan.Curr Dir Psychol Sci. 2005; 14: 158-162
- The development of global and domain-specific self-esteem from age 13 to 31.J Pers Soc Psychol. 2016; 110: 592-608
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial, or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interest: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Not commisioned and externally peer reviewed.
Ethical approval: Ethics approval for this study was obtained from the Health Research and Ethics Committee of the Lagos State University Teaching Hospital (LREC. 06/10/813). Informed written consent and assent were also obtained from parents/guardians and patients willing to participate.
Data availability statement: The data sets used and/or analyzed during the present study are available from the corresponding author on reasonable request.