- •YouTube videos on the topic of adult orthodontics provided high-quality, reliable, and moderately sufficient information.
- •Videos with rich-content scores were significantly longer, and their quality scores were higher.
- •As length of videos on the topic of adult orthodontics increased, the number of views and the watch rate increased.
- Bond failure of a no-mix adhesive during orthodontic treatment.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2002; 122: 277-281
- Adult orthodontics—a review.Br J Orthod. 1995; 22: 331-337
- Global trends and paradigm shifts in clinical orthodontics.World J Orthod. 2005; : 3-7
- An update in adult orthodontics.Dent Update. 2007; 34 (431-4, 436 passim): 427-438
- Assessment of motivation and psychological characteristics of adult orthodontic patients.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2011; 140: e263-e272
- The digital health divide: evaluating online health information access and use among older adults.Health Educ Behav. 2015; 42: 202-209
Clement J. Internet usage worldwide—statistics & facts. July 5, 2019 Available from: https://www.stati_sta.com/topics/1145/internet-usage-worldwide. [Accessed 8. May. 2021].
- Informational value and bias of videos related to orthodontics screened on a video-sharing Web site.Angle Orthod. 2011; 81: 532-539
- Lingual orthodontic treatment: a YouTube video analysis.Angle Orthod. 2018; 88: 208-214
- Orthodontic retention and retainers: quality of information provided by dental professionals on YouTube.Am J Orthod Dentofacial Orthop. 2020; 158: 229-236
- YouTube as an information resource for orthognathic surgery.J Orthod. 2017; 44: 90-96
- YouTube as a source of information about orthodontic clear aligners.Angle Orthod. 2020; 90: 419-424
- Is information for surgically assisted rapid palatal expansion available on YouTube reliable?.J Oral Maxillofac Surg. 2020; 78 (e1–10): 1017
- Does YouTube offer high quality information? Evaluation of accelerated orthodontics videos.Ir J Med Sci. 2020; 189: 505-509
- Adult orthodontics versus adolescent orthodontics: an overview.J Oral Health Comm Dent. 2010; 4: 42-47
- Adult orthodontics: a quality assessment of Internet information.J Orthod. 2016; 43: 186-192
- YouTube as a source of information on mouth (oral) cancer.Oral Dis. 2016; 22: 202-208
- DISCERN: an instrument for judging the quality of written consumer health information on treatment choices.J Epidemiol Community Health. 1999; 53: 105-111
- YouTube for information on rheumatoid arthritis—a wakeup call?.J Rheumatol. 2012; 39: 899-903
- YouTube videos as a source of medical information during the Ebola hemorrhagic fever epidemic.Springerplus. 2015; 4: 457
- Adult orthodontics: a quality assessment of Internet information.J Orthod. 2016; 43: 162
- A literature review on the socio-demographic characteristics of women who seek web–based health information.J Lexicogr Terminol. 2017; 1: 83-114
- Is YouTube useful as a source of health information for adults with type 2 diabetes? A South Asian perspective.Can J Diabetes. 2018; 42: 395-403
Publication stageIn Press Corrected Proof
Funding: The authors have not declared a specific grant for this research from any funding agency in the public, commercial or not-for-profit sectors.
Competing interest: Authors have completed and submitted the ICMJE Form for Disclosure of potential conflicts of interest. None declared.
Provenance and peer review: Not commissioned; externally peer reviewed.
Ethics Committee Approval: Because this study involved only data available in the public domain, it did not require approval from an ethics committee.